May 15, 2021

HSB Minutes 10-28-2020


Hartford Board of School Directors

School Board Community Engagement Meeting Minutes

October 28, 2020 @ 6:00 pm

Online Meeting 

 

Members Present                                     Administrators Present

Kevin Christie, joined during                        Tom DeBalsi

Peter Merrill                                               Roy Hathorn

Nancy Russell                                            Doug Heavisides

Russell North

Michelle Boleski

Dylan Morse

Katie Trombley

 

1.  Call to Order

-        Changes, Additions and Approval of Agenda 

Mr. North called the meeting to order at 6:08PM.

Ms Boleski asked that the student representatives be given time to introduce themselves.

Moved by Ms Boleski, seconded by Mrs. Russell, to approve the agenda as amended, motion carried.
 
2.  Community Linkage Ideas (GP 3)

-        Owner Linkage Presentation and Draft Plan (Boleski, North)
     Mr. North started the presentation by asking the board to consider who the “owners” of the district are as this relates to who is surveyed for feedback. The owners should include business owners, residents, tax payers, and parents. Educators would be classified as stakeholders. Some people may have multiple roles. Students are stakeholders and not owners.

     Ms Boleski gave a brief explanation of Policy Governance for the student representatives. She invited the high school reps to ask questions.

     Mr. North presented proposed charter language for the Linkage Committee. This would be adopted by the board and identify what the committee would be responsible for. Mr. Merrill and Mr. DeBalsi, the Policy Committee, will review the language and make a recommendation to the board.

     Mr. North presented a three year plan, adapted from the sample in the book, to be reviewed and adopted by the board in January. The first year has a detailed schedule.

     Ms Boleski referred to a document that listed potential survey questions. This would be for the purpose of gathering data on what people know about the district ( i.e. Policy Governance, Ends). She asked for feedback from the board, please forward to the committee. Final questions will be decided on at the next meeting.  Mrs. Russell and Mr. DeBalsi both stated support for the questions. Mr. DeBalsi cautioned the committee about how the survey information will be returned and consider how the data will best be reported.

     Mr. North clarified that the boards’ Facebook page is not to inform the community of the day-to-day actions in the schools. Mr. DeBalsi informed the board that Mr. Hathorn and Mrs. Newton started a district Facebook page that does give the daily happenings.

     They will review the sample EL2 from the literature and share with the board.

     Mr. DeBalsi reminded the board that the student reps could be helpful with setting up the survey.

     The linkage process will help with the budget presentation at Town Meeting. It shows where the priorities are in the district.

     Mr. North referenced pages from the book for other topic suggestions. Mr. Christie asked that the committee be creative, which may include making sure all owners have access. Mr. DeBalsi is aware where the internet problem areas are in the town.

 
-        School Board Engagement Topics
●      The Ends
     Board members are encouraged to add topics to the plan as they come up. The board thanked Mr. North and Ms Boleski for their work with this draft plan.

 

-        Student Representative Introductions
Dylan Morse, a senior at HHS, is looking to create a connection to what the board is doing and what the students are looking for. He’d like to bring all the voices together. He offered to collect data from students.

Mr. North asked Dylan to contact Mr. DeBalsi if there ever is something that the board needs to know or do and together figure out how to best inform the board of this.

 

Katie Trombley, a senior at HHS, is the returning rep.
 

3.  Public Comments 

The public was invited to join the meeting using the link  https://zoom.us/j/97430755984, meeting ID 974 3075 5984.

No one from the public spoke.

Mr. DeBalsi is still working on a date for a joint meeting with the Select Board. He asked for board members to submit dates to him before the holidays.

 

          4. Meeting Evaluation

The meeting evaluation was completed by the board, the consensus was that the meeting was satisfactory.

 

5.  Adjournment

          Moved by Mr. Merrill, seconded by Ms Boleski, to adjourn the meeting at 7:18PM, motion carried.

 

Next Regular School Board Meeting is Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2020 at 6:00 PM